Sweet Potato and Kidney Bean Puree
• 2 medium sweet potatoes (approximately 260g total weight)
• 100g canned red kidney beans, well drained and rinsed
• 45m-60ml (3-4tbsp) of baby’s usual milk *
*This can be expressed breast milk or follow-on formula made up according to the instructions on pack.Utensils
• Handheld blender or food processor
For a yummy homemade purée, try this easy recipe with sweet potato for babies. It’s naturally sweet, contains some of the vitamins they need to help them grow up strong and healthy, and it can be easily frozen for future use too.
This recipe is a great one for busy mums, as it doesn’t take long to make sweet potato baby food from scratch, and it’s likely you already have some of the ingredients in your cupboard. Read on to find out how to cook sweet potato for baby-sized appetites.
Remember: recipes from previous stages are still suitable for your growing child.
1. Wash, peel and dice the sweet potato into small cubes. It doesn’t matter too much what size they are, as you will blend them later.
2. Add the sweet potato to a pan of boiling water, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the kidney beans and continue cooking for a further 5-10 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Drain everything.
4. Add the milk and blend it all together, using either a handheld blender or food processor. Make sure you don’t add any salt.
5. Feed your baby while the purée is still warm, remember to check the temperature before feeding it to your baby.
Cool any leftovers and put it in ice cube trays and freeze. This will provide convenient portions for future use.
Good To Know
We love cooking up sweet potato recipes for baby meals, as they’re a colourful, sweet vegetable that will help them learn about new tastes and textures. When using canned kidney beans, just remember to drain away the brine and thoroughly rinse to remove any salt from the brine solution.